Today we have received a query by email from our regular reader; we are going to solve his query in this article. Before moving forward let me tell you about the query. Yesterday we received an email from Edward Cullen in which he asks that why does my laptop turn on but the screen is black?
Our expert technician replied to him some basic steps to solving his problem. But his issue was not solved with basic assistance. So we have written an article with detailed step by step guide and published here.
Today I have published a detailed process to solve the query which was subjected that laptop turn on but the screen is black. If you are also seeing the same problem in your laptop on which laptop is not displaying anything but has power. So, go through this page which contains an ultimate guide to resolve this issue.
Why does my laptop turn on but the screen is black! How to fix?
Several years of experience in IT troubleshooting, it’s a common issue to see windows black screen after login, no display and no options except a cursor. It is frequently happening to users that laptops start with LED light and also hard drive spinning but no display. Mostly it happens when Microsoft pushes Windows operating system updates.
Users can found different troubleshooting steps anywhere on the internet. Most will be related to resetting the component or new windows installation, which both can wipe hard drive data.
Troubleshoot for a laptop that turn on but the screen is black
If your laptop does not only serve as a source of entertainment, but it is also a source of your most important documents and files. Therefore, if your laptop starts from the LED light, hard drive properly spinning but it is not able to display anything, nothing to do but anxiety.
Here is an ultimate guide to recover your laptop when its screen won’t turn on. Before moving forward to step 1 we have compiled a checklist of some items that you should have with you to start this troubleshooting.
Checklist for troubleshooting
- Phillips #2 screwdriver
- Extra monitor
If you have checked this list now you have ready to start troubleshooting, so let me start this guide:
Reseat Cables and Battery
First of all power off your laptop and close the LCD screen. Pull off the AC power and other cables connected with the laptop then flip over the laptop on a soft surface. Remove the laptop battery pack carefully.
Clean the Battery Contacts
When you remove the battery from the laptop then you should have to clean metal contacts of the battery and also the battery bay. Sometimes tarnish may be cause to power down your laptop and due to low power LCD can’t show display. So you have to remove any dull that may seem on the contacts.
Reinsert the Battery
- After cleaning the battery, properly reinsert into its bay, ensure that you locked the battery in its bay then reconnect the AC power cord and other cables.
- Turn your laptop on to check if it displays the image if the problem is still present then move forward to the next steps.
To make your laptop display OS normally, you should have three ways to follow:
- Performing of hard reset
- Connect the external monitor
- Reset memory modules
Reseting of hard disk
Several laptop issues can be resolved by resetting the hard disk. But before performing the hard reset make sure that you have backed up your all necessary data.
The hard reset will clear all the information from the laptop’s memory except any personal data. Performing a hard reset can fix different issues i.e freezing of software, keyboard and mouse pad freezing a blank display and windows not responding, etc.
Move onward to the next step if a hard reset did not resolve the problem.
External monitor to check the display
If the screen is still blank after the hard reset then it might be caused by corrupted graphics driver or a problem with LCD display backlight. You have to attach another monitor to test the display.
To connect a monitor with a laptop first of all shut down the laptop and disconnect the AC adapter is plugged. Connect the monitor display cable to the VGA or DVI video output port on the laptop.
Even, there is no VGA port in the latest laptops available on the market in 2020, but still, you can connect a monitor with these laptops by using HDMI port. To connect monitor through HDMI port you should have HDMI to VGA converter.
After connecting the monitor with a laptop HDMI port, turn your laptop on. When you see the LED light appear on the laptop and hard disk starts to spin, press “Fn” key that sends the display to an external display. On some laptop keyboards, you have to press Fn + F4 key couple of times to send display on the external monitor.
- If an image displays on the external monitor, it might be a graphics driver problem with the laptop LCD display. With the external display connected, install the latest display and chipset drivers for your specific laptop to solve the issue.
- If the screen is still black after updating the drivers, the LCD might be defective. Contact professional hardware technician to resolve the issue.
- If you hear the spinning voice of hard disk but no image displays on a monitor, try the next step.
Reseating the memory modules
A loose memory module usually causes a laptop not displaying an image. So you can reset the memory module to resolve several issues like software freeze, mouse pad or keyboard stucking, a blank display and windows not responding, etc.
Follow the steps below:
- Turn off your laptop and disconnect the power cord.
- Flip the laptop over to it’s upside down.
- Find the memory module cover and remove it to access the memory.
- Pull up the memory module from the memory bay.
- After cleaning the memory modules reinsert all of them. Replace the memory cover slot and fix with the screws.
- Connect the AC adapter to the laptop then Power on your laptop and perform any test to confirm that the laptop can start up and run in normal condition.
If the laptop fails to display an image on the screen, then contact with expert hardware technician to repair it.
If you are facing these kinds of issues in your laptop that is still under warranty then do not try to solve hardware issues by yourself. You should have to contact the retailer immediately and ask for assistance. If the warranty of your laptop is expired then use these steps to troubleshoot the laptop. But, be sure before starting the troubleshooting that you have complete knowledge about this repairing process.
I hope you will found this ultimate guide helpful, so leave your comment here about this or you can send us any query related to the subject mentioned. Our experts will assist you and we will write a detailed guide about your query.
- Why is My Laptop Running So Slowly
- How Much Storage Do I Need On My Laptop
- How to Remove Laptop Stickers without Damaging Them
- Uses of laptop in our daily life
- Hackintosh Laptop Buying Guide
- How to Track a Stolen Laptop Without Tracking Software – New Methods 2019
- How to Change HDMI Output to Input on Laptop
- How to remove laptop stickers without damaging them?
- Cool Things to Do With a Laptop
- How Many Watts Does a Laptop Use When Charging?