The ThinkPad brand is one of the well-known brand names in the world of personal computers. It started as an IBM product in 1992. Now, the product is being produced by Lenovo.
The ThinkPad consumes optimal electricity and the key-board is spill-proof. The current generation of ThinkPad laptops has lighter and more efficient backlight displays. It is mainly intended for business professionals.
Is a ThinkPad the same as a laptop?
ThinkPad is made extremely strong and tough than the utilitarian laptops. This is why it is not same as a laptop. It is more than a laptop or notebook and is a Toughbook. The ThinkPad stands out from the crowd.
The ThinkPad models are Energy Star compliant. This means it uses an optimal amount of electricity for the protection of the environment. Most normal laptops are heavier than ThinkPad and are prone to damage after a knock. But, ThinkPad is rugged and made to withstand hard knocks.
ThinkPad laptops are built solid for the business-minded people while other laptops are made for consumers. This is the basic difference between ThinkPad and normal computers.
Consumer vs commercial laptop
There is a difference between consumer and commercial laptops. A consumer laptop is designed with aesthetics in mind. These laptops look extremely appealing while commercial laptops like ThinkPad does not fancy elegance and style but robustness and strength.
Commercial laptops are made with security, productivity, durability and longevity in mind. It is performance-based and not for aesthetics and appeal.
You may argue that both ThinkPad and normal laptops are powered by Intel CPU. You may be asking if the performance differ but ThinkPad laptops are designed for improved performance and also comes with productivity-enhanced software.
Features of ThinkPad laptops 2020
There are outstanding features that make the ThinkPad different from other utilitarian laptops. Some of them are the following:
- Environmental impact – Every ThinkPad model is Energy Star compliant. Other average laptops do not have this feature. All ThinkPad laptops have Silver or Gold ratings with EPEAT.
EPEAT is an international green energy program that certifies products that meet green energy technology requirements. The ThinkPad has an integrated Power Manager which is a power tracker that helps to keep a tab on the overall usage of power.
- Visual Display – The backlight display of ThinkPad laptops are more power-efficient than the other consumer laptops. The LED screen is mercury-free making it able to consume far less power to improve productivity.
The T and W series is a touch screen with the traditional QWERTY keyboard and mouse pad. The W series has built-in Wacom digitizer and pen to help users to create hand-drawn digital images with ease.
- Multimedia support – Even though ThinkPad is mainly made for the business professional, they still offer some sounds and beats when it comes to multimedia.
Many of the ThinkPad laptops come with memory card readers to support different formats making it easier to access pictures and videos. Some offer DVD drives and Blu-ray drives to conform to modern times.
- Safety & security – ThinkPad is designed for on-the-go people. So, they are built sturdy to withstand impact. The impact-protected structures around the PC protect the internal hardware from knocks. Some of the models have fingerprint to keep your files safe and secure from authorized usage and access.
- Resistant to spilt liquid – This is not what you can get from the laptops. This is why the ThinkPad laptops stand out. It can resist spilt liquid such as water from damaging the computer. This is a great preventive measure.
- Durability – Business professionals are fun of the ThinkPad because of its rugged nature. The simple laptops cannot survive a fall but ThinkPad is made tough to survive falls. It keeps going after several falls. This is why it is hard to do away with it. It keeps serving you all year round. For example, the ThinkPad X220 had 3 flights of concrete stairs but continues to be functional because of its solid build quality.
- Keyboard Trackpoint – ThinkPad comes with USB keyboard with Trackpoint. With the Trackpoint, you can say goodbye to an external mouse. There are several Function Keys to access a variety of ThinkPad features.
The keyboard tilts and has multiple languages. For improved usability, Lenovo has replaced the keyboard TrackPoint with the ThinkPad Compact Bluetooth Keyboard. It comes with a scissors-lift mechanism that ensures better ergonomics and comfort when using the computer.
The key size and space in between are well optimized for responsive and comfortable typing. There is Bluetooth connectivity that delivers wireless connection without the use of a dongle. The integrated batteries last for more than one month.
- Portability – ThinkPad laptops are extremely portable which allow users to work on-the-go anytime, anywhere. The laptops have built-in durability features that protect the PC from damage while in transit.
The roll cages and the shock-mounted hard drives are measures to protect the laptop from serious knocks. Some selected models have the Active Protection System (APS). The APS is like an air-bag that protects the hard drive from damage any time it falls.
- Data protection – ThinkPad laptops are made to protect business data from loss. This is what the ThinkVantage Client Security Solution does. There are the integrated fingerprint reader and Password Manager that allows you to replace multiple passwords with just a click.
ThinkVantage technologies make data retrieval super easy in case the operating system fails. Just press the ThinkVantage button that is placed on the touchpad to recover the data.
- Reduced PC life-cycle costs – One of the greatest features of the ThinkPad is reduced PC life-cycle. Less money is spent on repairs making it cost-effective in the run, unlike normal laptop that develop faults easily. Normal computers require frequent repair which increases the PC cost overtime.
- Innovative technology – ThinkPad laptops are equipped with the latest innovative technologies. Some of these technologies can be found in the ThinkPad W Series notebooks.
These laptops are a must-have for graphics designers and photographers. For example, the W700 model comes with a second retractable 10.6 inches screen which expands the display area by 39%.
It comes with CAD/CAM applications, multi-touch panel technology, the latest NVIDIA Quadro FX-based graphics, dedicated graphics processor and memory, X-Rite colour calibration for proper colour matching.
- User-experience accessories – ThinkPad laptops come with some of the best accessories to enhance overall user-experience. There is the Lenovo Vertical PC and Monitor Stand which gives you a combination of desktop PC and monitor. This looks so compact and space-saving.
These great accessories help the user to optimize their workspace by holding the PC in place behind the monitor. This is an ideal solution for people who are space-constrained.
- Lenovo Mini Wireless Laser Mouse is another must-have accessory. It is an ambidextrous three-button wireless mouse that comes with a dongle. It has a smooth and precise laser sensor. The accessory can be used by both left-hand and right-hand users.
- A wonderful accessory is the ThinkPad Slim AC/DC Combo Adapter. It can be used for cell phone, MP3 player or notebook. This is Lenovo’s thinnest power adapter. It is portable to use when travelling. Also, can easily be plugged into AC wall outlets or DC outlets in the automobiles or aeroplanes.
- Solid construction – ThinkPad is built to last for many years. It is built extremely tough in the case of R400. It is built with Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer Base while the top and bottom have an internal magnesium roll cage and the top exterior case is made of polycarbonate while consumer laptops are made from a cheap plastic case with no internal roll cage at all.
Is a ThinkPad the same as a laptop? The above article has answered the question. The ThinkPad is beyond a laptop.
Which Thinkpad is the best in 2020?
For many businesses and IT departments, it is the Lenovo ThinkPad or nothing. Whether it is about the black aesthetics, strong build quality, keyboard or the pointing stick, there is something about the ThinkPad that the fans cannot do without. This is why the ThinkPad is considered as one of the best computers in the world in 2020.
You may have committed your heart and budget to a particular ThinkPad laptop, but the good news is that you have a lot of choices. There are over a thousand ThinkPad models across different lines. These laptops will have basic aesthetics but size, quality, price, screen, performance and battery time won’t be the same.
Some of them come with snappier keyboards than the others. Here are the different ThinkPad models that may be right for you:
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2020
CPU: Core i5/i7; GPU: UHD 620 Intel; RAM: 8GB/16GB; Storage: 256 GB/512 GB/1TB; Display: 14″ (1080p /4K); Size: 12.7 x 8.6 x 0.6 inches; Weight: 2.1 pounds
- Lightweight design
- Long-life battery
- Vivid & bright display
- Improved speaker
This is one of the best business laptops by Lenovo and it is boosted with improved speakers and new security features. It includes webcam privacy cover and an IR camera. ThinkPad Carbon X1 is attractive, durable and slim.
It has a powerful 7th Gen CPU. The 9 hours battery timing will be appreciated by many business users. The keyboard is lovely for typing.
No MicroSD card reader
Lenovo ThinkPad-X1 Yoga
CPU: i7; GPU: Intel-UHD 620; RAM: 16GB; Storage: 1TB; Display: 14-inch (1080p); Size: 12x 8.5 x 0.6 inches; Weight: 3 pounds
- 1080p vivid display
- Slim and durable aluminium chassis
- Ergonomic keyboard
- Long-lasting battery
- No SD card reader
- Last Gen CPU
- Not available in carbon fibre
ThinkPad X1 Yoga is a perfect alternative to the X1 Carbon. This is made for people who enjoy the versatility of a tablet but do not want it detached. It lasts longer with just a charge. Battery life is almost 11 hours. The X1 Yoga is available in 4K screen.
It can also be found in 1080p and both are bright and vivid. It comes with a ThinkPad keyboard which is one of the best in the computing world. What stands it out is the pointing stick, webcam cover and a stylus garage.
The metal chassis is beautiful but there should have been the carbon fibre finish. There is no card reader. It is powered by the latest Gen chip.
X1 ThinkPad Extreme Lenovo 2020
CPU: Corei5 and Core i7; GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti; RAM: 8GB/16GB/32GB/64GB; Storage: 256GB/512GB/1TB; Display: 15.6 inches (1080p/4K); Size: 14.2 x 9.7 x 0.7 inches; Weight: 4 pounds
- 4K HDR display
- Beautiful design
- Lightweight and thin
- Top-notch performance
- Comfortable key board
- Average battery life
The 15-inch X1 Extreme is an excellent multimedia business laptop for video editors or gamers. With a Core i7 processor and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GPU, this monster can handle rigorous programs and some selected games. It was tested with the Rise of the Tomb Raider and played smoothly at 1080p at 35 frames per second.
The laptop is extremely portable at 0.7 inches thick and roughly 4 pounds. It has a 4K display with ultra-high brightness. The keyboard is really elegant and cosy. The X1 Extreme offers the same durability and security features as the Lenovo X1 Carbon with an option of a Smart Card.
The battery life is just above 6 hours usage. It becomes hot on the underside after streaming HD video for 15 minutes
Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet X1
CPU: Corei5 or Corei7; GPU: Intel UHD620; RAM: 8GB/16GB; Storage: 256GB/512GB/1TB; Display: 13 inches (3K); Size: 11.99 x 8.9 x 0.4 inches; Weight: 2 pounds
- Elegant design
- Excellent key board and stylus
- Impressive webcams
- Solid performance
- Bright & vivid display
- Quiet sound
If you desire versatility in your work, you need this tablet. The durable and secure 2-in-1 tablet is detachable. The ThinkPad Pen Pro will be highly be appreciated by artists and the key-board is also detachable.
It is very portable but the battery lasts just 6 hours
Is a ThinkPad the same as a laptop? It is clear like broad-day light that the ThinkPad is not the same as a laptop. The ThinkPad is an extra-ordinary laptop that beats consumer laptops hands down in many ways.