How to track a stolen laptop without tracking software?
If something unhappening happens with you and your precious laptop stolen in the arms of a brutal scumbag, and you don’t have to give up all hope about finding it once more. Admittedly, something is against you, but with the following tips, you might just have a chance to right this egregious wrong.
Microsoft & Apple both have added some features to their operating systems, which make it possible, but if somehow you forgot to set them up before the theft happened, we could show you how to track a stolen laptop without tracking software even after it has been stolen.
What should anyone have to do if their laptop is stolen?
How to Track a Stolen Laptop Without Tracking Software?
Well I have some of the ideas below could help you find your missing device, I would highly recommend that you should involve the police in this matter rather than just handling the thief yourself.
Some locations provided by tracking services will be approximately good, so you’re unlikely to know which exact door to pound upon.
Moreover, there’s the fact that the thieves have already proven they’re not exactly adherents to the law, so you can’t be sure about what they’ll do if challenged.
If your laptop is stolen or lost, we have few ways to find out where it might be by using Windows 10, 8, MAC OS, Gmail, or Dropbox.
|You can also know: How to make a stolen laptop untraceable in a few easy steps|
How you can use Find My Device in Windows?
In fact, Windows 10 Creators Update back in November 2015, and Microsoft introduced the feature Find My Device.
As the name suggests, it is a helpful way to track down the approximate location of your stolen laptop. It is turned off by default.
But if luckily, you enabled the feature before your laptop was stolen, then you’ll be able to take a quick couple of steps to help in its recovery features. People who were unfamiliar with the service. They will be helped by read out How to turn on Windows 10’s Find My Device feature guide.
- To track the laptop, go to account.microsoft.com/devices and log in with Personal Microsoft account.
- Here, you will find a complete list of your login devices, to locate the one of your after and click on the Find my device icon that is located under the device name.
- Now Microsoft will search for the laptop and let you know, roughly, where it is, so long as it’s online.
- It has the option to secure the machine remotely too by clicking the Lock button.
How you can use Find My MAC Device?
Did you lose your Mac or suspect it’s been stolen?
Find it and lock it with Find My Mac! Find My Mac is the best feature not just to find your stolen laptop but also protect your lost Mac.
You can read what Wikipedia says about Find my MAC feature.
All you need is your Apple account, another Laptop or your Mac, and you’ll be able to locate your Mac device, lock it, or erase all of its data. Following is the method for how to set up and use Find My Mac to find the device.
Do you want to know what do thieves do with stolen laptops? Yes, then Go to our other page that contains all the information about the stolen laptops.
How to enable The Find My Mac:
You can locate your Mac using Find My Mac on the web. You have to set up Find My Mac before your Mac goes miss; otherwise, it’s useless.
First of all, you have to make sure that your Location Services are enabled.
- After that click the Apple menu button that is located on the top left of your screen.
- Click on the System Preferences.
- Click on the Security & Privacy icon.
- Then, click on the lock icon and type in the administrator’s password to make changes.
- Do not forget to confirm that the checkbox next to Enable Location Services is checked.
- After that enable, Find My Mac.
- Now, click on the Apple menu button that is located on the top left of the screen.
- Click System Preferences.
- Click on the iCloud.
- Now, click the checkbox located just next to Find My Mac to enable it.
- Finally, click the Allow icon.
Next, when you sign into iCloud.com on another laptop or use the Find Mac on your Mac, you will be able to find and erase your lost or stolen Mac device. Just make sure you sign in with your Apple ID that’s in use on your missing Mac.
How to Lock your Mac by using find my Mac?
If you’re pretty sure you have just lost your Mac, and it has been stolen, but you want to make sure no one tries to access your content, you can lock that device. Moreover, if you lock your Mac remotely, you can’t erase it.
- First, move to the iCloud.com
- Then, enter your Apple ID and password and click to the sign in the icon.
- Make sure one thing that if you are going to find your Mac, then sign in using that same Apple ID that you usually use on your Mac.
- Click Find Mac.
- Enter your Apple ID password.
- Then click on the Sign In icon.
- Click All Devices icon located on the top of the page.
- Click your Mac in the list of devices.
- The, click the Lock icon in the pop-up.
- Finally, click the Lock icon to confirm.
It is imperative to remember that once you lock your Mac, then you cannot erase it at all.
How to track your device by using Gmail, Dropbox:
If your laptop was stolen or lost, then you can also use the services like Dropbox or Gmail to find the IP address of your lost device. When you log into these services from any Laptop, it logs the IP address used and displays your last used IP in your account.
- For Gmail users:
In the Gmail, it is in the bottom right-hand corner under details of each individual laptop. By using the Gmail account, you can simply track the IP address of your lost laptop.
- For Dropbox users:
In the Dropbox, it is in Settings and Security under the details of each individual laptop. By using the Dropbox account, you can simply track the IP address of your lost laptop.
- If the thief used your laptop, the last logged IP address might be theirs instead of yours.
- Again, although, if they are smart, they didn’t use your Laptop and this trick won’t work.
- In fact, by knowing their IP only gets you so far.
- You had still had to file a police report, send a subpoena to that IP addresses’ internet provider.
By finding out where they are located. Which could take a long period?
Now you have a detailed answer to the question of how to track a stolen laptop without tracking software. We have had readers email us with success stories using this method, but they are few and far between. In fact, whatever you do, don’t try to track the thief down by yourself and to get your gear back. It can lead to trouble for you.
If you have any query related to this topic or something else, just post your reply below. It will be our great pleasure to assist you.
Good Luck & Keep Visiting – LaptopsChamp
- Why is My Laptop Running So Slowly
- How Much Storage Do I Need On My Laptop
- How many watts does a laptop use when charging
- Uses of laptop in our daily life
- Hackintosh Laptop Buying Guide
- How to remove laptop stickers without damaging them?
- How to remove laptop stickers without damaging them?
- Cool Things to Do With a Laptop
- How to Change HDMI Output to Input on Laptop