What causes dark shadow on tv screen? Dark (black) spots on LCD TVs are typically caused by either debris or superficial dirt, a dead pixel, or a stuck pixel. Of all these problems, the easiest problem to fix is debris or superficial dirt. On the contrary, stuck pixels are harder to fix, while dead pixels are the hardest problem to fix.
With an LCD TV, you can watch your favorite movies, cartoons, and series in excellent quality with high definition and good sound. However, owners of LCD monitors may encounter the problem of dark spots appearing on the screen. Let’s take a closer look at the reasons for their appearance and what are the best solutions to repair them and What causes dark shadow on tv screen
Shadowing on a TV? What Causes dark shadow on tv screen?
There are lots of reasons why you might be seeing shadows on your TV. To name a few, some of the most common reasons for shadowing on your tv, are burn-in, a poorly mounted TV, or faulty cables. Shadowing mostly occurs when you leave a still image on the screen for a long period of time. So, remember to always turn your tv off when no one is watching.
The truth is, there’s no easy way to fix shadows caused by burn-in, so the best idea is to prevent it. If you haven’t left a static image on the screen but you’re still seeing shadows, your TV may have some installation problems.
How does burn-in happen? A Burn-in usually occurs when you leave a still image, for a long period of time, on your tv screen. Still, images such as a paused DVD or menu screen will be the main reason. The pixels inside the panel become damaged and develop a memory for the colors they are displaying. Your tv will begin to display only those colors, developing a shadow of the still image even after you remove the image.
You can prevent this by never leaving your TV on a still image for more than half an hour. It’s always a good idea just to be safe. Plasma TVs, with their phosphor technology, are more susceptible to burn-in than LCD TVs that use liquid-crystal technology, especially during the first 200 hours of use.
Another thing you can do is to avoid playing video games with static boxes, on plasma TVs if possible. What does this mean? These are the type of video games that show your power levels on the tv screen while playing. Playing for long hours at a time can cause the static boxes to burn-in.
Another thing is, to stay away from the black bars that appear when watching a widescreen movie. These days, most DVDs will give you an option to watch a full-screen version. If you do not have these options, change the TV’s aspect ratio through the picture menu until the black bars disappear. Black bars can leave shadows along the entire top and bottom of the TV screen.
- Poorly Mounted TVs
Not a lot of people realize this, but if your tv is poorly mounted to a wall, shadowing may occur. Why does this happen? A poorly mounted tv’s wait will not always be shifted as it should and this may damage your TV’s pixels. Also, check whether TV is running in Power Saving Mode. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when mounting your television to a wall.
- Mounting Stand
Are you someone that prefers to have your TV sit on the floor or on an entertainment center? There is no problem with this. With this said, always use the model’s mounting stand. Do not put the tv directly on the floor, the weight of the TV could compress lower pixels, causing a shadow effect at the bottom of the screen. Samsung tv screen
- 3-D televisions may have a shadow effect
If you are watching tv on a 3-D television, you may see a shadow effect on the image. This especially happens if you aren’t sitting directly in front of the Samsung tv or any other TV. The 3-D technology used for many of these TVs still relies on the addition of special glasses to make the images clear with no shadowing.
- Cable Box
Something that happens a lot with cable boxes and TVs, is incompatibility issues. This may lead to shadowing. This problem often presents when you are pairing up a newer TV with an older cable box. What you can do, is update your cable box’s firmware to try to resolve the problem; some cable providers make firmware updates available online, others will send updated firmware to you and some will send out a repair person to update the firmware.
- Video Cables
Using an HDMI cable with external devices can sometimes result in a shadow image appearing on the LCD screen. This is often not because of the cable directly, but maybe because of the external device’s video output settings and the use of an HDMI cable, more than likely the LCD panel is going bad. You can try changing the output settings on the external device or using a different type of cable, such as a component cable.
- Multiple Signals
A shadow image can appear on your tv screen if you are using an antenna to pull in channels over the air. This type of image appears when the antenna pulls in the same source from two different signals. How to get rid of this? Move the antenna around to different locations until the ghost image disappears, indicating that the antenna is now pulling the source in from one signal.
What are the Best practices to Prevent Dark Shadows on your TV Screen?
Dark shadows are preventable to a large extent. You don’t want a malfunctioning TV in your hands before you start taking care of your TV.
So, how do you prevent a dark shadow from appearing on your TV screen?
- Don’t keep a still image on your TV screen for more than 30 minutes; it might result in a “burn-in.”
- Proper care of your TV by wiping dust off the screen regularly.
- Avoid mechanical injury or blunt damage to your TV.
- Try not to over-tighten the screen during your TV installation.
- Gamers should avoid games that have a static image—such as a health bar—on the part of the screen.
Adhere to the preventive measure outlined above, and your TV will be miles off from developing a dark shadow fault. You’ll also be saving yourself the burden of trying to fix it. As they say, “it’s better to be safe than sorry.”
How to Eliminate Incorrect TV Settings?
Before trying to disassemble an LCD TV or hand it over to a service center, it is worth excluding software failures that are possible with digital broadcasting. The test scheme for Samsung, Sony, and LG are common. There may be some nuances depending on the TV model. While watching TV with connected external devices and shadow appears only on specific channels, then the cause may be a broadcast signal.
To eliminate software problems, do the following:
- Save all the information from the tuner to a USB stick.
- Go to the menu using the console from the console.
- Find the “Settings” or “Factory data reset” section.
- Drop the parameters to the factory settings. If necessary, enter the pin codes 0000, 1111, and 1234.
- Restart the STB.
- Go to settings and re-run the automatic channel search.
If the black spots on your LCD TV screen disappear, the cause was most likely a software failure. In such a situation, it is not necessary to disassemble or repair the device in the service. If the malfunction remains, it is better to contact a professional to repair an expensive modern TV. If you’re looking for a new TV, this is a great SONY LED TV that is very affordable and comes at a good price.
Cleaning the Screen Protector Glass Surface
One of the reasons for the appearance of spots in the external adhesion of dirt is dust. In such a situation, it is not necessary to disassemble the equipment or reboot it. It is enough to wash the screen surface. For this:
- Disconnect equipment. Disconnect it from the network to be sure.
- Purchase a special cleaner for LCD monitors.
- Take a soft microfiber cloth.
- Apply a small amount to it.
- Wash the screen without pressing hard.
It is advisable to do such care 2 times a week. This will save your TV, and it will last longer.
How to Get Rid of Dark Stains Due to Moisture Penetration?
If a defect appears due to water ingress, rinse the matrix. This requires a special detergent. Running water is not suitable. It contains a large number of invisible impurities and abrasive particles that will settle on the matrix and make the situation even worse.
Cleaning should be done in a well-ventilated area with good ventilation to remove dark spots from the TV matrix. It is advisable to turn on a humidifier, if available. Use soft cotton gloves to clean.
If you wish, you can carry out the replacement yourself if you have the skills to work with household television appliances. The repair instructions are as follows:
- Prepare your work area and all necessary screwdrivers and other tools.
- Disconnect the TV. Use a screwdriver to remove all bolts to remove the housing.
- Disconnect the wires and cables. Try to do this as carefully as possible. If some elements are damaged, they will also have to be replaced.
- Unscrew the bolts holding the die. Do this carefully and replace it with a new one.
- Assemble the TV in reverse order. Switch on and check the correct operation.
How to Get Rid of Dust Spots?
Rarely wiping the surface from dirt and dust leads to the ingress of microparticles on the matrix. Over time, a large dark spot is born from a small black dot. With the following actions you can save your TV from manifestations:
- Tap your finger very gently on the surface of the screen where the small black dot appears.
- Try vacuuming the screen. You can do this from a distance of 2-5 cm from the screen.
- Disassemble the device and wipe the inside of the screen. The matrix can also be wiped from dust (for this you need to be very careful).
If the dark spots have not disappeared after all the manipulations, the Sony, Samsung, or any other manufacturer’s TV must be carried to the workshop for a full diagnosis and repair.
When it is Necessary to Carry the Device to The Masters?
If a dark (black) spot appears due to moisture or dust, you can easily fix this problem by yourself. If on the other hand streaks appeared due to mechanical stress or strong exposure to high temperatures, which in most cases led to matrix delamination or failure of loops, then it is necessary to carry that equipment to the workshop.
The service center specialist will carry out the repairs to your TV in the following sequence:
- Accept the equipment and write out a ticket that you have handed it over.
- It will carry out diagnostics, often a PC is used for this to identify the exact causes of the breakdown.
- Will repair parts to be repaired or install new ones.
- He will check the performance of the equipment and write out a new warranty card for his services. How to Avoid Dark Spots
Proper care of household appliances is the key to their correct operation for a long time. To avoid the appearance of dark spots, or streaks on the screen of a plasma, liquid crystal TV, follow these recommendations:
- Place household appliances at a distance of 20 cm or more from a heat source: radiator battery, heater, fireplace.
- Place the TV on a stand. On the floor, the equipment will be blown through, and a temperature drop will result, which is harmful to LCD TV.
- Wipe off dust with a dry microfiber cloth. You can use special brooms or surface cleaners without abrasive particles.
- Do not overheat the equipment. TVs can work around the clock, but this has a bad effect on their performance, color rendition, and image playback speed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will black spots be visible on my screen when turned on?
Regardless of where the black spot is located on your TV screen, it will stand out like a sore thumb. It’ll be the first thing you spot when your TV screen lights up.
What causes black spots?
Black spots on your TV screen are caused by debris, dead pixels, or stuck pixels.
How does a manufacturer defect cause a black spot?
Black spots will appear due to a violation of the assembly. They don’t appear immediately and often lead to damage to the display matrix
Taking care of your LCD or plasma TV in this way will save you from the appearance of dark spots on the screen. Try to avoid mechanical damage. Explain to the children that technology is not a toy. And enjoy digital TV for years on end.
Light, colored spots and streaks are removed by other methods. General repair method only in cases of software failure. Therefore, if any screen defects appear, just try to completely restart the equipment and reset the router to factory settings.