Complete List: Top 7 Best Student Laptops For Under 500 Dollars
This article may include references and links to products and services from one or more of our advertisers. We may be paid compensation when you click on links to those products and/or services. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
This article contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission. Please note that this article is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as financial or investment advice. We do not endorse any specific product or service mentioned in this article.
|2020 Acer Aspire 3 15.6" Full HD 1080P Laptop PC, Intel Core i5-1035G1 Quad-Core Processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, Ethernet, HDMI, Wi-Fi, Webcam, Numeric Keypad, Windows 10 Home, Steel Gray||Prime||Buy Now|
|2020 Acer Chromebook R13 13.3" 2-in-1 Full HD IPS Touchscreen Convertible Laptop PC, MediaTek MT8173C Quad-Core Processor, 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD, HDMI, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Webcam, Chrome OS, Silver||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5 13" FHD IPS Touchscreen 2-in-1 Laptop, Intel Core i3-10110U, 4GB DDR4, 64GB eMMC, MicroSD Card Reader, Webcam, WiFi,BT, Backlit Keyboard, Chrome OS/ GCube 64GB Micro SD Card||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|Acer Chromebook 514, CB514-1HT-C6EV, Intel Celeron N3450, 14" Full HD Touch Display, 4GB LPDDR4, 64GB eMMC, Backlit Keyboard, Google Chrome||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|2021 Newest HP Chromebook 14-inch FHD Laptop, Intel Celeron N4000 up to 2.6 GHz, 4 GB DDR4 SDRAM, 32 GB eMMC Storage, Webcam, WiFi 5, Bluetooth 5, Chrome OS + Oydisen Cloth||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|New Microsoft Surface Go 2 - 10.5" Touch-Screen - Intel Pentium - 4GB Memory - 64GB - Wifi - Platinum (Latest Model)||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14" Laptop, 14.0" FHD 1920 x 1080 Display, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, Narrow Bezel, Windows 10, 81W0003QUS, Abyss Blue||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.Prices pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
One of the study’s most important allies is laptops! The possibility of taking them anywhere makes them an essential tool in this process, especially for those who go to college and continuously need a computer nearby. However, it is not easy to choose the best student laptop under $500, so we have prepared a list with 7 different models to buy.
To create this list, we needed a criterion for choosing the best student laptop under $500 to study. In most cases, we consider that students do not have a high budget to invest in these devices, so we needed to give options that were not absurdly expensive. Another critical point is that most students use laptops for simple tasks such as browsing the internet and using text editors, and the device’s technical file does not need to be advanced.
1. Acer Aspire 3
The Acer Aspire 3 represents an excellent product for internal components and selling price. This is the best student laptop for under $500. On the other hand, it is a device equipped with an Intel Core i5-103g51 processor paired with an integrated Intel HD Graphics 620 graphics card. With its 8 GB of DDR4 RAM and a 256 GB SSD, it guarantees good performance in all the various daily operations, such as consulting e-mails and the Office package’s multiple applications.
As for the display, this best student laptop under $500 has equipped with a 15.6-inch screen with a resolution in FullHD- that is to say, 1920 x 1080 pixels-which could also assert itself in the multimedia field, therefore the use the content on YouTube and Netflix. The keyboard layout is Spanish (which differs from the special characters compared to the Italian one). Therefore we recommend the purchase of a set of stickers for keyboards.
- Modern design
- Do not produce noise.
- AC Wi-Fi
- Display quality
- Build quality
- Powerful and portable, the Aspire 3 laptop delivers on every aspect of everyday computing. Featuring the new 10th Gen InteI Core i5 processor, the Aspire 3 opens more possibilities than ever before—via performance, connectivity and entertainment. The Aspire 3 is the perfect laptop for every need. It packs a beautiful 15.6 Full HD screen, solid performance and the Dual-Band WiFi into an attractive design thats easy to place in a backpack and take to class.
- 10th Generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 Quad Core Processor 1.0GHz up to 3.6GHz); 8GB DDR4 Memory, expandable to 12GB; 256GB NVMe SSD; No SD or micro SD slots; No Optical Drive.
- 15.6 Full HD (1920 x 1080) Acer ComfyView LED-backlit non-touch Display; Intel UHD Graphics
- IEEE 802.11ac, 1xGigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 4.2, 2xUSB2.0, 1xUSB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A, 1xHDMI, 1xheadphone jack; standard non-backlit keyboard with a 10-key number pad. 2x Stereo speakers. 1xNetwork (RJ-45);
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit . 2-cell Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) battery up to 8 hrs. Size: 14.3x9.7x0.78 inches. Color: Steel Gray
2. Acer Chromebook R13
We hardly recommend a Chromebook, but this laptop is the exception. The Acer Chromebook R13 is an ultra-thin convertible, boasting a MediaTek M8173C processor and 4GB of LPDDR3-SDRAM RAM. Among the technical features, we also find a 13.3-inch touchscreen with a resolution in FullHD. The strength of this best student laptop under $500 lies in its operating system (Chrome OS), which guarantees a very high speed in everyday operations and, above all, good compatibility with all recent multimedia files. For just under 500 dollars, it is not easy to find such a product!
- Great battery life
- Impressive design
- Good performance
- Good display
- Convertible hinge
- Flat audio
- You weren’t designed to sit still, and neither was the Acer Chromebook R 13. With an agile 360-degree hinge this Chromebook gives you 4 usage modes to choose from – notebook, pad, display or tent, along with the flexibility to work or play anywhere. With built-in virus protection, incredibly fast wireless connection and a 12-hour battery life you can wrap up tasks all day and then return home with time left to spare.
- The 13.3” Full HD IPS display with 10-point touch, makes it easy to surf, organize, swipe and edit with the tip of your fingers. A unique fan-less design not only makes it thin and light, but keeps it silent and dust-free. The Chromebook R 13 is an amazing value and offers tons of existing apps in the Chrome Web Store and now more than 2 million Android apps from the Google Play Store.
- Impressive Performance This Acer R13 Chromebook is armed with speedy MTK M8173C quad-core processor (up to 2.1 GHz), 4 GB LPDDR3 memory, and premium integrated PowerVR GX6250 graphics. They seamlessly work together to deliver massive computing power to fuel video, casual games, and other daily tasks.
- Faster Wireless Enjoy up to 3 times faster wireless than before with dual-band MIMO technology 802.11ac technology. Stream, download and share to your heart’s content. Many Ports, Many Uses One connector is used for ultra-quick data transfer, video streaming, and battery charging. The reversible USB 3.1 Type-C connector is the same at both ends and on both sides, so it’s easy to attach. USB 3.1 is 10 times faster than USB 2.0
- Stay Productive With Chrome OS you can still use your favorite software. Download Chrome versions of traditional office productivity programs like Microsoft Office and Skype, as well as Facebook and Instagram and there are many more from Google Play
3. Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5
Lenovo Chromebook comes with the latest i3 processor and 64GB SSD, which offers the best performance. This best student laptop under $500 also has a fingerprint reader and touchscreen. Moreover, the Lenovo Chromebook can be used as a Windows tablet.
The screen measures 13 inches. Briefly speaking, Flex 5 is an excellent notebook for multimedia projects, video editing, Photoshop, AutoCAD, SAP, and high-definition content. This best student laptop under $500 has a 13″ Full HD touch display with 1920 × 1080 IPS resolution. The IPS panel and the Full HD resolution allow you to enjoy precise crystal details and vivid colors from all angles.
- Affordable price
- High-quality appearance
- Solid quality
- Good performance
- Sleek styling
- No thunderbolt 3
- A great Chromebook with 13-inch 1080p (1920 x 1080) touch resolution screen for college, work from home, or everyday entertainment, the Chromebook Flex 5 delivers the immersive experience youre looking for. User-facing dual speakers and an LCD w/LED backlight (anti-glare) display in full HD, coupled with narrow bezels to minimize screen clutter, let you enjoy streaming video, movies, and more in crisp, clear, and vibrant detail.
- The dual-core Intel Core i3-10110U Processor, good performance we mean enough power to multitask on daily. So for home/office use, you'll find this Chromebook absolutely great.
- Available connectivity options are very decent. Here, there are two USB-C ports to make the laptop future-proof, and USB 3.0 port for your regular peripherals, an audio jack for video conferencing, and a Micro SD reader just in case you need to do some light photo editing on this computer. Bonus with Micro Center 64GB GCube Class 10 Micro SDXC Flash Memory Card with Adapter.
- 4GB DDR4 Memory for full-power multitasking. Substantial high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once; 64GB eMMC flash memory system is ideal for mobile devices and applications, providing enhanced storage capabilities, streamlined data management, quick boot-up times and support for high-definition video playback.
- Chrome Os. Fast secure and easy to use This touchscreen Chromebook boots up quickly with just your Google login to give you access to all of your cloud-based documents email and more.
4. Acer Chromebook 514
This best student laptop under $500 offers premium features at a reasonable price. If Chrome OS is right for you, it’s hard to say no to this model, and for several reasons.
At this price, it is not very easy to find a thin and light aluminum chassis, an autonomy that can cover a full day, a Full HD touch display, and a backlit keyboard.
Do not be afraid then for the presence of the not-very-powerful Intel Celeron N3450; it must be considered that Chrome OS is considerably lighter than Windows, so it does not require who knows how much power to perform the same tasks.
- Impressive battery life
- Great connectivity
- Big touchpad
- Great-looking design
- Good display
- Moderate storage
- Ho-hum speakers
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS - an operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically, boots up in seconds and continues to stay fast over time. (Internet connection is required)
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook, which means you can edit, download, and convert Microsoft Office files in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides
- Get access to more than 2 million Android apps from Google Play to learn and do more.
- Chromebooks come with built-in storage for offline access to your most important files and an additional 100GB of Google Drive space to ensure that all of your files are backed up automatically.
- CB514-1HT-C6EV comes with Intel Celeron N3450 Quad-Core Processor (Up to 2.2GHz), 14 Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit 10-Finger Multi-Touch Display, 4GB LPDDR4 Memory, 64GB eMMC, Backlit Keyboard, Google Chrome and Up to 12-hour Battery Life
5. HP Chromebook 14
The HP Chromebook 14 is a product of absolute value because it combines good technical characteristics with an operating system. And it is ChromeOS that manages to enhance the good that has contained under the body of this best student laptop under $500. Entering the technical specifications, we find a 14-inch display with HD resolution, an Intel Celeron Silver N4000 processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 32 GB of eMMC memory.
- Large display
- Snappy performance
- Long battery life
- Loud audio
- Impressive and loudspeakers
- Affordable price
- Nice design
- Poor keyboard
- Dual-core Intel(R) processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000, Dual-Core, 1.1 GHz base frequency, up to 2.6 GHz burst frequency; 【Authorized Oydisen Bundle】Bundled with Oydisen Cloth, Authorized Sellers ONLY
- Memory & storage: 4 GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM (not upgradable) and 32 GB eMMC
- Display: 14.0-inch diagonal FHD IPS anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit display (1920 x 1080); 82% screen to body ratio
- B&O Sound. Battery life: Up to 13 hours and 30 minutes (mixed usage); 0 to 50% charge in 45 minutes with HP Fast Charge
- Google Chrome OS, Access Google Play Store: The millions of Android apps you know and love on your phone and tablet can now run on your Chrome device without compromising their speed, simplicity or security
6. Microsoft Surface Go 2
This unique guide to the best student laptops under $500 has included a small bonus, represented by Microsoft’s new Surface Go. As for memory, the Surface Go is equipped with 4GB RAM and a 164GB SSD. This best student laptop under $500 is very lightweight and therefore represents a good travel companion. Moreover, it is suitable for the use of multimedia files or classic daily operations.
- Solid design
- Affordable price
- Convenient performance
- Thin and lightweight
- Quiet operation
- Good audio
- Small Storage
- Small screen
- Starting at just 1.2 pounds (not including Type Cover), with new 10.5” touchscreen.
- Battery life up to 10 hours. Perfect for browsing, shopping, emails, and homework
- Tablet portability, performance and laptop versatility with adjustable Kickstand and Signature Type Cover.
- Stay connected with included USB-C port and headphone jack. Full HD front- and rear-facing cameras let you make crisp, clear calls to friends and family, or take and share great photos.
- Hi-res touchscreen is perfect for browsing, playing, and binge watching.
7. Lenovo IdeaPad 3
This best student laptop under $500 remains an excellent option for studies, especially for those who want a suitable device without spending a lot. It is an option that will return to more essential tasks, as it has a Ryzen 5 processor and only 8 GB of RAM, so it is suitable for use in text editors, text reading, and internet browsing.
A positive point of this model is that it has resistant and durable housing. Simultaneously, this best student laptop under $500 is compact and light, making it easier when taking it to college. It has 256 GB for internal storage, so you can store any personal files without worrying about space.
- Low price
- Good battery life
- Deep keyboard
- Variety of ports
- Great performance
- No USB-C
- The display could be better.
- AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Mobile Processors with Radeon Graphics deliver powerful performance for everyday tasks
- Dopoundsy Audio delivers crystal-clear sound, while the 14-inch FHD screen and narrow side bezels give you more viewing area and less clutter
- Quick and quiet with Q-control – Effortlessly swap between fast & powerful performance and quiet battery saving mode
- Connect with ease using Bluetooth 4.1, up to 2x2 Wi-Fi 5, three USB ports, and HDMI
- Keep your privacy intact with a physical shutter for your webcam. Youll enjoy privacy right at your fingertips
- System RAM Type: DDR4 SDRAM
All best student laptops under the $500 models mentioned here offer good performance in basic tasks, so if that is what you are looking for, you can be sure that you will be well-served within your maximum budget to purchase a notebook to study. However, if none of these options caught your eye, you may still be looking at other lists we’ve prepared. It has notebooks aimed at architects, designers, good choices for work, cost-effective models, and even a selection of gamer’s models.
Finding the best student laptop under $500 is a challenging task. Please choose from our recommendations to find the best notebook for yourself. It is essential to check with your university because every university has minimum requirements for student laptops.