Today we have received a query by email from our regular reader; we are going to solve his query in this article. Before moving forward let me tell you about the query. Yesterday we received an email from Edward Cullen in which he says that my laptop screen wont turn on but has power.
Our expert technician replied to him some basic steps to solving his problem, but his issue was not solved with basic assistance. So we have written an article with detailed step by step guide and published here.
Today I have published a detailed step by step process to solve the query that was subjected my laptop screen wont turn on but has power. If you are also seeing the same problem in your laptop on which laptop is not displaying anything but has power. So, go through this page which contains an ultimate guide to resolve this issue.
My Laptop screen wont turn on but has power
Several years of experience in IT troubleshooting, it’s a common issue to see windows black screen after login, no display and no options except a cursor. It is frequently happening to users that laptops start with LED light and also hard drive spinning but no display. Mostly it happens when Microsoft pushes Windows operating system updates.
Users can found different troubleshooting steps anywhere on the internet. Most will be related to resetting the component or new windows installation, which both can wipe hard drive data.
Troubleshoot my laptop screen wont turn on but has power
If your laptop does not only serve as a source of entertainment, but it is also a source of your most important documents and files. Therefore, if your laptop starts from the LED light, hard drive properly spinning but it is not able to display anything, nothing to do but anxiety.
Here is an ultimate step by step guide to recover your laptop when its screen won’t turn on. Before moving forward to step 1 we have compiled a checklist of some items that you should have with you to start this troubleshooting.
Checklist for troubleshooting
- Phillips #2 screwdriver
- Extra monitor
If you have checked this list now you have ready to start troubleshooting, so let me start step by step:
Step-1 Reseat Cables and Battery
First of all power off your laptop and close the LCD screen. Pull off the AC power and other cables connected with the laptop then flip over the laptop on a soft surface. Remove the laptop battery pack carefully.
Step-2 Clean the Battery Contacts
When you remove the battery from the laptop then you should have to clean metal contacts of the battery and also the battery bay. Sometimes tarnish may be cause to power down your laptop and due to low power LCD can’t show display. So you have to remove any dull that may seem on the contacts.
Step-3 Reinsert the Battery
- After cleaning the battery, properly reinsert into its bay, ensure that you locked the battery in its bay then reconnect the AC power cord and other cables.
- Turn your laptop on to check if it displays the image if the problem is still present then move forward to the next steps.
To make your laptop display OS normally, you should have three ways to follow:
- Performing the hard reset
- Connect an external monitor to check the display
- Reseating the memory modules
Performing the hard reset
Several laptop issues can be resolved by resetting the hard disk. But before performing the hard reset make sure that you have backed up your all necessary data.
The hard reset will clear all the information from the laptop’s memory except any personal data. Performing a hard reset can fix different issues such as software freezing keyboard or mouse pad freezing a blank display and windows not responding etc.
Move onward to the next step if a hard reset did not resolve the problem.
Connect an external monitor to check the display
If the screen is still blank after performing the hard reset then it might be caused by corrupted graphics driver or a problem with LCD display backlight. You have to attach an external monitor to test the display.
To connect an external monitor with laptop first of all shut down the laptop and disconnect the AC adapter is plugged. Connect the monitor display cable to the VGA or DVI video output port on the laptop.
Even, there is no VGA port in the latest laptops available on market in 2019, but still, you can connect an external monitor with these laptops by using HDMI port. To connect external monitor through HDMI port you should have HDMI to VGA converter.
After connecting the external monitor with a laptop HDMI port, turn your laptop on. When you see the LED light appear on the laptop and hard disk starts to spin, press “Fn” key that sends the display to an external monitor. On some laptop keyboards, you have to press Fn + F4 key couple of times to send display on the external monitor.
- If an image displays on the external monitor, it might be a graphics driver problem with the laptop LCD display. With the external monitor connected, install the latest display and chipset drivers for your specific laptop to solve the issue.
- If the screen is still black after updating the drivers, the LCD might be defective. Contact professional hardware technician to resolve the issue.
- If you hear the spinning voice of hard disk but no image displays on an external monitor, try the next step.
Reseating the memory modules
A loose memory module usually causes a laptop not displaying an image. So you can reset the memory modules to resolve several issues such as software freezing keyboard or mouse pad freezing a blank display and windows not responding etc.
Follow the steps below for reseating the memory modules:
- Turn off your laptop and disconnect the power cord.
- Flip the laptop over to it’s upside down.
- Find the memory module cover and remove it to access the memory.
- Pull up the memory modules from the memory bay.
- After cleaning the memory modules reinsert all of them. Replace the memory cover slot and fix with the screws.
- Connect the AC adapter to the laptop then Power on your laptop and perform any test to confirm that the laptop can start up and run in normal condition.
If the laptop fails to display an image on the screen, then contact with expert hardware technician to repair it.
If you are facing these kinds of issues in your laptop that is still under warranty then do not try to solve hardware issues by yourself. You should have to contact the retailer immediately and ask for assistance. If the warranty of your laptop is expired then use these steps to troubleshoot the laptop. But, be sure before start the troubleshooting that you have complete knowledge about this repairing process.
I hope you will found this ultimate guide helpful, so leave your comment here about this or you can send us any query related to the subject mentioned. Our experts will assist you and we will write a detailed guide about your query.
- Why is My Laptop Running So Slowly
- How Much Storage Do I Need On My Laptop
- How to Remove Laptop Stickers without Damaging Them
- Uses of laptop in our daily life
- Hackintosh Laptop Buying Guide
- How to Track a Stolen Laptop Without Tracking Software – New Methods 2019
- How to Change HDMI Output to Input on Laptop
- How to remove laptop stickers without damaging them?
- Cool Things to Do With a Laptop
- How Many Watts Does a Laptop Use When Charging?